Thursday, February 28, 2013

Re-Stocking with Whole30 Foods

Since our pantry is almost bare we needed to re-stock with all Whole30 approved items.
I started by shopping last weekend (by myself since I knew it would take some time to find items, compare prices (I still have a budget to try to keep), and read ingredient labels) for our pantry “staples” (things that you use almost everyday). I used this handy list that they provide on the Whole9life website. http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Pantry-Stocking.pdf
Because I don’t have oodles of time to spend going from store to store to see who has what, I just went to Earth Fare (a local whole foods/health food store in Tallahassee) and stocked up. HOWEVER, since then I have found good, Whole30 approved items on the list for less money at alternative places like Costco (including Organic Coconut Oil), Wal-Mart and Publix.
Here are the “staples” I chose to buy from the list at Earth Fare. (Note that the carton of Coconut Milk is NOT Whole30 Approved and I didn’t find out until AFTER I brought it home, I got the canned stuff just in case and I am glad now that I did). This is not ALL of the items on the list, I just started “slow” to see what we like and how much we need, and I will buy more if needed.
February 2013 087February 2013 088February 2013 089
Coconut Flour is NOT on the list, but they didn’t have Almond Flour (it was at Publix) and I figured we could TRY the coconut flour on something if we wanted to.
February 2013 090
February 2013 091February 2013 092February 2013 093February 2013 094February 2013 096February 2013 098

I also bought a few staple items from Costco this past week while my hubby took the kids. Mainly nuts and olives (things I know we will have no problem eating "in bulk") 

 

Then this morning it took me 3 hours, 3 stores (Costco, Publix, Wal-Mart) and one return trip to Wal-Mart (with my two kids) to get most of what I need to get us through our entire first week of our Whole30 (actually 8 days: tomorrow, Friday through next Saturday). Because of limited space in our fridge (and an abundance of fresh foods that need space in there) I will need to make a mid-week trip to restock on some veggies and fruits, but otherwise we are done shopping until next weekend. 
And now, here is what our fridge looks like:
Whole30 Before 036Whole30 Before 039Whole30 Before 040Whole30 Before 041
And here is our pantry… it’s still pretty empty because most of the food we will be eating is fresh and needs to be in the fridge. Except a few things that we can put in the fruit bowl!
Whole30 Before 043Whole30 Before 044

No comments:

Post a Comment