Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Why NOW?

Believe me, I had to answer this question for myself and my husband too. Because in reality there was a lot more on the Why NOT now list then the Why Now, for example, I have a 3-month old and an almost-2-year old, I am still getting used to dealing with TWO kids at a time and getting meals on the table, I have to “phone a friend” for dinner on average of once a week (meaning I get pizza or Moe’s instead of cooking because the day just went poorly and I was too exhausted to do anything else other than eat), it will be my birthday and Ali’s birthday, it will be Easter, we have company…twice, the added expense of eating this way, the added energy and earlier wake-up times required since I will need to cook breakfast and not just dump some cereal in a bowl or unwrap a breakfast bar… the list went on… and on, and on and the Why Now list was really, really (no, really) short. Why now? Because if not now, when? There will NEVER be a perfect storm. Never. There will always be SOMETHING on your “cons” list.

But here’s where things got kinda funny and kinda real:

We aren’t promised tomorrow. That doesn’t necessarily mean we will die tomorrow, but we have no idea what tomorrow will hold.  We need to be ready – we need to be as strong and as prepared and as ready as we can be for whatever comes. Whether what comes is a call from God to go to Africa on missions or a diagnosis from a doctor that requires us to get healthy… NOW. (That was the “REAL” part - the “funny” part of this for me was that my first thought was “if we aren’t promised tomorrow, then I don’t know if I want to go today without my Big Mac.”)

But really, to answer the why now question: it’s because I am feeling convicted about it now. To delay or deny that conviction would be the wrong thing to do, and since I am convinced that this conviction is coming from the Holy Spirit, then it wouldn’t just be wrong, it would be sinful. So… it’s now.

No comments:

Post a Comment