Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Cauliflower Pizza Crust gone awry!

A sweet Twitter friend sent me a tweet shortly after I started my Whole30 and told me to try cauliflower pizza crust.

There are a LOT of versions of this on the internet. I can’t even remember where I ended up getting my recipe, but it may not matter, because I will have to find another one… it didn’t go so well.

Although the taste was good… the texture was all off. Once I turned the crust into “pizza” and served it, the crust crumbled and I had more of a pizza “cobbler” than a pizza with crust.

Either way, maybe you will have better luck with it. Below is the recipe I used and then the photos of how it went wrong. I plan to try this out again soon – I will post another blog about how Trial #2 goes – but feel free to try this out and make some alterations… perhaps you will hit the nail on the head and you can share your successful tip(s) with me!

Recipe:

Cauliflower Pizza Crust:

1 head fresh cauliflower

2 cloves garlic

2 tbsp evoo

¼ c. nutritional yeast

1 egg, beaten

½ tsp herbs de provence

¼ c. almond flour

Salt & pepper

 

- Preheat oven to 400

1. Place uncooked cauliflower & garlic in food processor & process until fine pieces

Cauliflower Crust and My birthday 140

2. In a skillet over med-high heat, add evoo. Once hot, add cauliflower and sauté for 5 min, until cooked through.

Cauliflower Crust and My birthday 138

3. Transfer cauliflower to large bowl and add remaining ingredients. Mix well until thoroughly incorporated.

Cauliflower Crust and My birthday 143

4. Grease baking sheet with olive oil (or use parchment paper).

5. Turn out the cauliflower dought onto the baking sheet and form a ball

Cauliflower Crust and My birthday 146

6. Gently press ball of dough into round shape until it is just less than ¼” thick

Cauliflower Crust and My birthday 147

7. Bake for 30 minutes and broil for final 3-5

Cauliflower Crust and My birthday 154

(As you can see, this is where mine went wrong – see how it cracked and didn’t hold together nicely? And it wasn’t “crispy” at all either)

Cauliflower Crust and My birthday 155

8. Remove from oven – top with toppings and return to bake for another 5-7 mins.

Cauliflower Crust and My birthday 159

It sure LOOKED really nice, and it tasted AWESOME, but once you served it, you realized it would work better in a bowl than on a plate… it totally crumbled into pieces! Oh well, at least I tried and I know I like it – now I just have to figure out what went wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment