Monday, March 25, 2013

Feeding Non-Paleo/Whole30 Visitors

Easter is this Sunday. We will be having company.

Our daughter’s 2nd Birthday is the following week. We will have more company.

So… how do you go about preparing and planning meals for guests who are not subscribing to a Paleo lifestyle or on the Whole30 plan?

First things first, practice it, don’t preach it. How our guests choose to eat and live is their choice. I don’t judge it or try to change it. If any friends or family are ever interested in this new diet/lifestyle I am happy to share it and how I did it, but otherwise, I will simply continue to stay on my path and do what I can to incorporate their personal diets/food desires.

As I planned for the upcoming weekend (4 days) I decided that the most difficult meals would be lunches. Breakfasts really don’t differ much from the norm, so long as I don’t ask them to eat veggies that they don’t want and have bread/toast available for them. Dinner will be exactly the same, except I will offer a starch at a couple of those as well. Lunches… well, they are a tad different. But can still be arranged to feel normal, yet be healthy and satisfying at the same time.

I also want to show my family/guests that healthy food IS GOOD! I don’t necessarily need them to know beforehand how I made something or which ingredients are in it. I will let them taste (and hopefully like) it first and then tell them how I made it and with what! I think getting over the IDEA of “healthy food” and the stigma that it has gained helps people to enjoy it and then realize that healthy can also be delicious!

So… what do I plan on serving this weekend? Here are the lunches & dinners I have prepared for (breakfast will be about the same each day and muffins will also be available):

Day 1: (Dinner only)

Slow Cooker Roast with onions and mushrooms served with mashed cauliflower, steamed green beans and mashed potatoes

Day 2:

Lunch: Left-over roast (bread available for sandwiches for those who want it), small side-salad with tomatoes, olives, slivered almonds and avocado

Dinner: Chicken Cutlets, roasted brussels sprouts and carrots, a loaf of bread will also be served for those who want some.

Day 3:

Lunch: Picnic: Chicken Salad, Raw veggie skewers with dip (I will have Roasted eggplant dip and ranch dressing for whoever wants some), fruit salad, deviled eggs, nuts

Dinner: Grilled hamburgers, baked sweet potato fries, sauteed onions & mushrooms and a side salad

Day 4:

Lunch: Slow-Cooker Roast Chicken & Gravy with left-over veggies from previous days

Easter Dinner: Prime rib, steamed broccoli & carrots, and sweet potatoes

DESSERTS:

As you know, in my family dessert is a special thing. So there will be some non-Paleo/Non-Whole30 desserts in the house. I will not be partaking in those, but I am also hoping to have a few healthy dessert options available (for example, Paleo Strawberry Shortcake – stay tuned for THAT recipe later this week!)

How do you prepare food for your visitors who aren’t Paleo/Whole30 participants??

No comments:

Post a Comment