Thursday, March 7, 2013

Day 7… when is bedtime?

I did my research before entering into this Whole30 thing. I knew I would need to be prepared for what was coming so that I could manage my time and days wisely. For example on the days when it predicted I would have awful headaches and be going through symptoms similar to “withdrawal” I had ALL my meal prep as done as possible and made sure I had “back-up” to help with…whatever I needed help with.

But things haven’t been as bad as the article that outlines the Whole30 in a “Day-by-Day” fashion said they would. (Article can be found here). Anyway, since they haven’t been so bad I started to ignore the warnings altogether… except today, I am tired. Like, first trimester of pregnancy kind of tired. Like if I didn’t have two kids I would have played hooky and slept. All day. Except to eat, because then I would be messing things up and be tired for a whole other reason tomorrow.

So… now that the kids are both down for a nap I took a moment to go back and read what the article says for Day 7…

(Below excerpt is from “The Timeline: A Day-by-day guide to your Whole30” written by Whole9’s Robin Strathdee)

Day 6-7: I just want a nap

Okay, so its day 6 and you made it through the last phase without smiting anyone. The thing is, today you don’t feel like you could smite anyone if your life depended on it! It’s 10 am and all you can think about is crawling under your desk for a catnap. As the day drags on, the surface of your desk is morphing, from hard wooden surface to snuggly warm pillow, right before your eyes. You hit the gym, but only halfheartedly, unable to face the barbell with any kind of conviction. You crawl into bed at 8 p.m. only to drag yourself out eleven hours later feeling no more rested than you did the night before.

So what’s the deal?! Isn’t eating like this supposed to increase energy levels? Yes…in the long run. Right now, you’re body is learning that it can’t rely on all those easy access energy sources it used to know and love. Gone are the days of cinnamon crunch muffins and Frappuccinos. Now your body is learning to efficiently burn fat and protein as its fuel sources, and that takes more effort – and some time. If you can hold out just a bit longer, you’ll definitely reap the benefits. (Besides, you could probably use a day off from the gym anyway, right?)

 

So apparently I am right on track. But still very tired. Halfway there for Day 7 – I’ll check in at the end (if I’m still alive awake).

No comments:

Post a Comment