Friday, March 1, 2013

The Whole30 is underway

I woke up this morning pretty excited about starting the Whole30. And then reality hit…early. (Way before I anticipated).

It is 10:12am – We sat down for breakfast at 7:15.

I ate my Breakfast Mix (scrambled eggs (cooked with Ghee), spinach, collard greens and turkey sausage crumble) and I drank water (gah!) I had enough to completely cover a plate, but since I am already feeling hungry-ish I think I maybe should have added some more “good” fats (like a handful of nuts) or taken some more Breakfast Mix to account for extra needed calories since I am breastfeeding.

But… the book says that unless you are hungry enough to eat boiled fish and broccoli then stay strong until the next meal. So… unless I get that hungry – I am holding off until lunch (where I will learn from my breakfast mistake and add a little more to account for extra needed calories).

My daughter was NOT happy with the options I gave her this morning. I served her an organic, naturally sweetened version of cheerios and milk, some strawberries, some of the breakfast mix and a cup of milk. She ate some of the cereal (but said it wasn’t good and then didn’t finish), had a couple pieces of strawberries and forcefully rejected her eggs (by pushing them as far away from her as she could). She finished the strawberries later this morning and her cup of milk. Sigh…

My husband seems to not be phased by any of this – but is at least WONDERING what he will miss now that he is REALLY doing it.

Me? Well, my brain is already starting to play with me. Normally this would be a typical morning, I may have dipped into the M&M bowl for a few of those or had a Hershey Kiss when I felt my mid-morning hunger, but I honestly don’t do that everyday, so really I shouldn’t be feeling the NEED for this. And yet, my body (I am sure only because it KNOWS what is happening) wants that and EVERY other forbidden thing it can think of: soda, pie, chips, candy, cheese – if it pops into my mind…I want it (even if normally I wouldn’t).

I even feel like going out of the house would be too much temptation because in my mind I am daydreaming about getting into the car and driving to McDonald’s for lunch and just because it is forbidden I would get a milkshake (which is NOT something I usually get – as in, I have only ordered a McDonald’s milk shake ONCE in the last 10 years) so of course now that I can’t have it… I want it. And writing about it isn’t really helping. So I am gonna stop, because you get the picture now. This is how it’s going so far… and we are only 4.5 hours in.

Something tells me this is going to be a long few days.

1 comment: