Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Day 6–Stay strong!

Today has been the toughest so far (and even at that, it wasn’t THAT bad – just tougher than the rest and maybe a fraction tougher than a typical pre-Whole30 day). The cravings weren’t out of control… but they were there this afternoon. And really it wasn’t a craving for junk… just a craving for food. Any food. I can’t be sure if it was REAL hunger or just an old habit dying hard… but I decided that I could wait another hour and a half to just eat dinner and I made it. Success.

My husband on the other hand is ready to be done with this. He is sick of vegetables. Sick of what seems like a redundant meal (even though EVERY meal has been different and much of it familiar in a round-about way). My husband is typically the strong one with all the self-control. He is a mind-over-matter, stubborn-in-the-best-way kind of guy. But apparently too many veggies are his weakness. He hasn’t thrown in the towel yet and as I blessed our food tonight I prayed “God give us wisdom about the eating plan we are on.” Three minutes later my husband looked at me and said, “Wow, I can actually taste how salty this hot sauce is. I never even knew it was salty before.” (Based on the ingredient list the hot sauce is Whole30 approved it has peppers, vinegar and salt) but now that his tastes are beginning to get “recalibrated” he can begin to taste things that aren’t quite “right”. I don’t know if this will keep him going, but I am hoping it does.

It will be very hard to do this only for myself both for logistical reasons and psychological reasons (it’s much harder to be strong and not have the cookie when the cookie is sitting on the counter or your husband is saying… “It’s just ONE cookie!”)

Be strong. Stay strong. I can do this. 6 days down, 24 to go.

Today’s Menu:

Breakfast: Scrambled eggs, ground turkey and sage (turkey sausage crumble), sweet potato porridge.

Lunch: Left-Over Whole30 Chili, half an avocado, left-over cauliflower “fried rice”.

Dinner: Grilled chicken and roasted veggies (brusselsprouts, carrots, zucchini & squash seasoned with sea salt, olive oil and pepper) (these were, to me, the best veggies I made since beginning the Whole30 – with the exception of ANYTHING on the grill – because I LOVE any veggie better if it is cooked on the grill).

That’s all for today. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment