Thursday, March 21, 2013

Paleo Sour Cream–WOW!

Okay, so admittedly our first experiment with coconut milk in a dish that we expected to be savory (but turned out sweet-ish and coconutty) kind of soured us on the whole coconut milk thing altogether. (In other words, I haven’t tipped that can again since that experience).

But I needed something for our Taco salads last night and I didn’t want to do Paleo guacamole again or plain ole’ salad dressing… in fact, I specifcally wanted sour cream.

So… I went in search of a recipe and I found one… and it ROCKED!

My toddler liked it, even my husband liked it.

And me? Well I LOVED it! I was so happy with how it turned out that I just HAD to share it with you!

Paleo Sour Cream

(my recipe was an adaptation using this version from Paleotable.com.)

1/2 cup of Paleo Mayo (I used the recipe from Everyday Paleo found here)

1/3-1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut milk (start with 1/3 and increase if needed for your taste and texture preferences)

1 tsp of apple cider vinegar (the original recipe only calls for 1/2 tsp, but I found that the extra helped to conceal the coconut flavor a bit better).

1/2 tsp of minced garlic

Whisk together all ingredients and return to fridge for AT LEAST 30 minutes. This will help thicken the texture a bit (although it will still be slightly watery compared to “REAL” sour cream) and will also allow the flavors to combine nicely.

Serve with whatever your heart desires and ENJOY!

NOTE: Although you can taste a HINT of coconut in the sour cream itself, I found that once it was in my Taco Salad I couldn’t find the taste of the Coconut even when I tried. So don’t let that stop you from trying this AMAZING recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment