Friday, March 22, 2013

Day 21: You can picnic if you’re Paleo!!!

The longer I go in my Whole30 journey the braver I get with recipes and trying new things.

Like the Rutabaga I tried earlier this week – more on that coming soon!

And tonight I tried to cook a Whole30/Paleo version of Chinese Cashew Chicken & Broccoli (check out my next post for recipe & notes on that dish!)

But the biggest new thing I tried today was packing a picnic that was Whole30/Paleo approved.

I had been VERY intimidated by figuring out what types of food you could pack for a meal without a refrigerator (since they are all mostly fresh). Gone are the days of throwing  a few sandwiches in a bag with some chips and maybe an apple if I was on a particular health kick that day.

But with a little inspiration from Everyday Paleo I decided that I COULD, in fact, do this!

Basically, I packed left-overs that could be served cold! That were easy to pack and tote along with us and that didn’t require much “work” once we were ready to eat.

On the Everyday Paleo “Paleo Picnic” article they have great, more traditional, “picnic” foods just without the Non-Paleo stuff, so for example, chicken salad (no bread for sandwiches) and veggie skewers.

The point is, I got myself and my kids out of the house for a morning “field trip” and the Whole30/Paleo didn’t limit us (which has been the case to now).

The more we do this, the more I learn and the better and easier it gets. These are the lessons that make this lifestyle change more bearable and life-like. I am grateful to be learning them at this point in the game, as in only 9 days it will be time to make the commitment to keep this up (with a few less rules than the Whole30) for a lifetime. Making that commitment (to go Paleo) is just easier knowing that life can and will go on as usual the longer I do this and the better I get at it. The difference being I will be healthier and have more energy to do the additional work that it will always require (no matter how 2nd nature it all becomes).

So besides that and my awesome workout, that pretty much sums up Day 21!

I can hardly believe I have less than 10 days to go now! Wow!!

Okay, here is Day 21’s Menu:

Breakfast: Turkey Sausage crumble with mashed rutabaga and pecans

Lunch: “PICNIC LUNCH” – Left-over taco salad (spinach, tomatoes, avocado and taco beef” with a “taco shell”, raw carrot sticks, pecans and some strawberries. (I don’t usually include my toddler’s meal, because she is not on the Whole30, but for the picnic I packed her some left-over chicken breast (easily served cold), carrot sticks, strawberries, pineapple and pecans. It was a hit!)

Dinner: Chinese Cashew Chicken & Broccoli with sauteed Bok Choy

21 down…9 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment