Sunday, March 10, 2013

No results, Big Decision

I honestly have a LOT of reflections to share with you, but this one is the biggest by far. The most mind-blowing, most shocking one that was just too good NOT to share and have it be as close to in chronological order as possible (the others may be sprinkled throughout the next couple of days).

I haven’t checked the scale to see my weight. I haven’t measured myself. But going based on how clothes fit and how I look, I would almost say I am the same if not maybe even a little puffier in areas than when I started. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I know that this is probably my bodies way of working things out and the good stuff will come later, closer to the end. (I hope).

I don’t have tons of energy. In fact, I am rushing to write this blog so I can get a quick nap in before my babies are awake again!?

I haven’t noticed any other significant changes.

Except one thing: I feel good. I feel good about myself. I feel proud of myself. I enjoy the foods I am eating… a lot more than I enjoyed the foods that I used to eat. The Whole30 burger and sweet potato fries I made on Day 7 rivaled any burger I have ever had at a restaurant… including my beloved Big Mac! Things are getting weird.

So really, there have been no quantifiable results at this point. But I have already made a decision (unless results by the end of the Whole30 show that I am less healthy) to adopt a version of the Paleo lifestyle (which is what the Whole30 is based on). It is a less strict, rigid version of the Whole30 with the ability to indulge in non-Paleo foods on occasion (unlike in the Whole30 when anything off the Whole30 plan basically requires you to go back to square 1). If you had asked me a month ago if I would be doing the Whole30 I would have laughed and rolled my eyes. If you asked me a week ago if I thought the Whole30 would lead to a decision to go Paleo I would have laughed harder and my eyes couldn’t have rolled because they would be too full of tears from all the laughing. But there is something about the way I feel – I can’t explain it other than to say that I feel GOOD. About myself. About my food choices. I have no guilt. I may not look different (yet) and I may not have significantly changed my health (yet) but I definitely FEEL different. And that FEELING is enough for me to go on and make this decision.

The only thing I occasionally don’t feel good about is how much work I have to do in the kitchen. But the more I do this the easier it is and the less time I have to dedicate to the kitchen anyway, so I can’t really let THAT hold me back.

Life is life, so I reserve the right to change my mind someday, but for now, I am giving this a go. And life? Well, it’s just going to have to adapt.  

No comments:

Post a Comment