Friday, March 1, 2013

Day 1 Complete (Like it or not)

I survived day one! And whether I like it or not, my eating is done until tomorrow morning’s breakfast. Not eating between now and bed could end up being the biggest challenge of Day 1 – and as I just put both kids to bed and walked out of habit into the kitchen to find something for “dessert” I considered having strawberries because TECHNICALLY you can have fruit, but part of what I am doing here is getting into healthier eating habits; and that means not eating out of habit… Sooo, in order to break that habit… no “dessert” even if it IS only fruit. (Ugh.)

So here is what I ate today:

Breakfast: Breakfast Mix (eggs, spinach, collards, turkey sausage crumble)

Lunch: Whole30 Cobb Salad: Butter lettuce, cabbage, spinach with grilled chicken, boiled egg, avocado, tomato, sliced almonds and oil & vinegar dressing

Dinner: Turkey Meatloaf, Cauliflower Mash, and Sauteed Broccoli with toasted almonds (The Cauliflower Mash recipe called for coconut milk – but for us we didn’t like the taste of the coconut on top of the cauliflower (we like our sweet stuff sweet and our savory stuff savory – we don’t like any cross-over) so in the future I would probably make this but use chicken stock or bone stock/broth instead of the coconut milk. Maybe not as creamy, but that would be okay).

Also – I realized there was more prep-work that could have been done – because dinner prep took 45 minutes (for me, that won’t work on a regular basis) so again, I am glad we decided to start on a Friday that my husband had off than on a Monday (I still have 2 more days to figure it out) (Yay for weekends!)

So here are my victories for Day 1:

I didn’t have ONE snack all day – to me, THIS may have been my biggest victory. Although, nothing to drink but water was a close second.

I will admit that my last two meals (lunch & dinner) left me plenty satisfied (in fact, I was almost over-full). And it was the snack between lunch and dinner that was the hardest not to have, but I did realize that snack was ALSO one born of habit because I wasn’t hungry (at all) and yet I really (really) wanted one. BUT, I powered through – and that victory of self-control was a big one.

I had to run to Publix for some extra cauliflower and strawberries before dinner – THAT was a CHALLENGE! But I made a point to keep eye-contact with my baby and only look up enough to not run our cart into anyone or anything and get the items I needed… that helped (sort of).

It feels like I made it to the finish line, and perhaps in a way, I have… for Day 1, but my ultimate finish line is in 29 days. Based on research the next few days will be the hardest… I’ll keep you posted.

1 down, 29 to go!  

No comments:

Post a Comment