Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Curry Foil Fish (Paleo Edition)

Foil Fish, Healthy Lunch & Shaving Cream Eggs 003

Pre-Whole30/Paleo lifestyle the spices we used around here were limited to salt, garlic salt, pepper and occasionally a Montreal Steak Seasoning or Red Pepper Flakes. We occasionally used dried herbs too (oregano, basil, etc.) but other than that our chock full spice drawer was more of an insurance policy (just in case we ever need it) than something we actually used.

So seldom was it used, that I have two of many kinds of spices in there because I didn’t know we had it to begin with and bought another one when a recipe called for it. (That happened more often than I care to admit).

The point is – the spice drawer gets used now. A lot.

Because you can only eat bland veggies and meats so often and so much without getting bored and turning to something less healthy to make up the difference.

For dinner last night I made Foil Fish.

You know, you put some fish and veggies on a piece of foil, wrap it up in a nice “pocket” and then pop it in the oven where it basically steams itself inside the foil and cooks beautifully moist and tasty.

Typically I do a white fish, veggies and a squirt of lemon with salt and pepper. But I needed and wanted something a tad more exciting. So I took a chance that it could go VERY wrong and threw in some spices that I thought might blend well together. And boy, did they ever!

I have officially decided after last night’s Foil Fish experiment that I am CRAZY for CURRY! Here’s what I did:

Curry Foil Fish: Paleo Edition

- Large piece of foil (lay it out flat)

- 1-2 pieces of fish (I used Tilapia – but any white fish will do).

- Chopped up veggies (your choice) I used squash, zucchini and tomatoes

- Olive oil

- Sea Salt & pepper

- 1/8-1/4 Garlic powder

-  1/2 tsp of curry

-1/2 tsp dry yellow mustard

- 1/4-1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes

1. Place fish and chopped veggies in your foil

Foil Fish, Healthy Lunch & Shaving Cream Eggs 002

2. Drizzle olive oil on top of fish & veggies

3. Sprinkle with salt & pepper

4. Sprinkle the rest of the spices on top of the fish & veggies

Foil Fish, Healthy Lunch & Shaving Cream Eggs 003

5. Fold foil in and over the fish & veggies to create a steam pocket (see photo)

Foil Fish, Healthy Lunch & Shaving Cream Eggs 008

6. Place in oven at 400 for 20-25 minutes – fish should flake and read 130 F on a meat thermometer at the thickest place.

This dish was spicy and delicious. Let’s put it this way – there were NO LEFT-OVERS to be had! I will definitely be making this again!

Did you try this? What did you think??

No comments:

Post a Comment